Saturday, January 2, 2010

As we finished 09

As the year drew to a close I noticed all the kids had their heads buried in books. Here are some recommendations from a family of readers.

Hannah: I just finished "Small Steps" by Peg Kerhet. It's about a girl from Austin, MN, who got polio when she was 12. It tells how she fought to learn how to walk again. You should read this book.

Maddie: I was reading "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. It is a true of story of the Holocaust written in the person's point of view of what happened and she didn't leave anything out. She told it like it was. I would definitely recommend that everyone read this book.

Nick: I finished "The Hollow People" by Brian Keaney. It is about two kids who live in an asylum on an island but they are normal. They don't like being in the asylum. A guy comes and breaks them out and brings them to the mainland. There are more twists and turns and you will have read the book to find out the rest.

Isaiah: Dad read "Stuart Little" to me. My favorite part was when Stuart Little goes to the mail room and sees another little mouse and really likes her. He mails a letter to her saying, "Meet me at the beach tomorrow and I will bring my canoe and we will row out to the middle of the lake." He forgot he didn't have a canoe.

Charles: I am currently reading "Witness" by Whittaker Chambers. It is about the Alger Hiss trial in the 1950's. It is supposed to be a life changing read against socialism. I'll keep you posted.

I finished "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it. My respect for her increased after reading this book.

Now you know some of our reading prefernces and how we spend our free time. Hope you enjoy sitting down with a good read in 2010!

1 comment:

Kali said...

I must know your secret to passing on a love for books to your kids. Dan & I both love to read and hope to instill that -- what a great way to spend a break!