Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Little Secret

Today was my first day at work. I've have successfully completed all the paperwork and jumped through every hoop to become a substitute teacher. It took quite awhile. I think I first picked up the packet in October and put it off...then I told myself I would get everything in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well, didn't quite go as planned. First I needed to be finger-printed by the state of New Jersey so they could check my criminal record. In order to do that I needed to show a photo ID with my current address. So I needed to get my NJ drivers License. In order to get that I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate - which I couldn't find and had to order from the State of Iowa which could take anywhere from 30 to 45 days as stated on the form. UGH!!!! There were other bumps, hassels and trials but I prevailed. Last week the School Board of North Hanover approved my packet and this morning at 6:00am I got the call to fill in as a teacher's aide in all day Kindergarten. I AM TOTALLY WIPED OUT! Talk about a room full of energy... there was one little guy - I'll call him Collin, who was never where he should be, never doing what he was supposed to, etc. The kicker came at the end of the day during story time. He was crawling around under the tables and around the chairs as the teacher read a story (Runaway Ralph). I was watching him and he was on his hands and knees with his back to me. I noticed a spot on the carpet between his hands get dark, then it happened again. He was dropping big mouthfuls of spit onto the floor. What's with that?? I got down next to him and asked him to go get a paper towel. He had this look on his face like there would be no reason in the world for me to want a paper towel. He finally dawdled and waltzed his way to the back of the room and got the paper towel and brought it back. I told him to start pushing on the floor with it. Again, I got this look like I was a total crazy lady. He began patting around and got nothing. I went over and began scooting the paper towel around with my foot while he "listened" to the story until I hit the mother load. He looked at me with complete shock. I had him soak it all up and then throw the paper towel away. The teacher asked me about it later. She didn't seem too surprised about it. She was really great to work with! Very helpful for the first day. All in all a successful day. Now you know my secret.

Yesterday, we had the final inspection on our old house to make sure we had all our stuff out (I found a few things) and to make sure we cleaned the appliances and swept the place out and turned in our keys. Hannah and I snapped a couple of pictures of the mold before the guy met us there. The first picture in under the kitchen sink. The discoloration on the back panel is mold growing through the panel from between the wall and the cupboard. There was also mold growing out where the hose goes into the dishwasher. I wish I could have captured the smell in this cupboard to go with the picture. The picture alone doesn't do complete justice.



This picture is from the pantry. The mold has grown up through the wood in the shelves. This is where we kept our food. Lovely.



Charles is gone this week to San Diego for a Chaplains conference so I'm holding down the fort. He will be back late Friday night. Needless to say, boxes are slowly being unpacked and I won't get any pictures hung until he gets back. Pictures of the new house will have to wait - sorry.

No comments: