Sunday, August 21, 2011

Boston, MA, USA

We changed our plans and decided to check out the historical sites around Boston. We stayed near Lexington and Concord, MA. This bridge is where the colonists took a stand against the British and actually fired the first shots at the British.



We also went downtown Boston and followed the Freedom Trail. We toured Paul Revere's home,



...Old North church where instructions were given to hang the lanterns to let the colonists know if the British were invading "one by land, two by sea."




We stopped by the Charleston Navy Yard and toured the World War II destroyer USS Cassin Young.



We had wanted to explore the USS Constitution but it was closed that day.







We saw the site of the Boston Massacre, went to Bunker Hill and viewed the city from the top of the monument.

We were staying in lodging at Hanscom Air Force Base. There was an indoor pool on base that we made use of a couple of times. The kids and Charles had a contest going to see if anyone could dive out far enough to touch the flags stretching across the pool. Fortunately, I was assigned the job of the photographer. Here are a few of the best action shots.
























































As you can see, Nick won!

We also made a stop at Plymouth Rock after our time in Boston. Not the big slab of a rock most people picture! Plymouth Pebble may be a better name!




We intentionally drove through Rhode Island to complete our Northeastern tour. We ate a Cracker Barrel just outside of Providence. This is memorable because we had stopped late in the day - 7:00ish for supper. I was sitting next to Madison and noticed that she had placer her clear retainer on her little biscuit plate. I had a pleasant conversation with her pointing out the fact that it probably wasn't the best place to keep her retainer. I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem...well, an hour down the interstate after supper, I heard gasping and wailing!! You know the rest of the story...

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Why oh why didn't you take your dear Uncle Kyle with you??? One of the few historical trips we have never made but it does sound fun. I have to ask tho, did you turn around and go look for the retainer? I probably would have. I once dug through a McDonald's trash dumpster to look for Kali's billfold (which for some reason she had put $50 in to go to music contest while in high school). After much syrup and uh, other "stuff", I actually found it. Needless to say, I've never let her forget it!