Friday, March 13, 2009

Three “Must Sees” in D.C.

The three things I liked most in Washington D.C. when I went last week with my mom were the Washington Monument, the Smithsonians, and the Mary Church Terrell house.
The thing I liked the most was the Washington Monument.
You could see all over D.C. from one window! You could see the White House,
the Lincoln Memorial and a couple sides of the Pentagon (I also got some pretty cool angles!)

The best part of all was when we met a retired N.F.L. football player up at the top. That man was huge!
He also had his Super Bowl ring on. He played for the Denver Broncos when they won Super Bowl 32 (Jamie Brown # 70, 6'8” 318 lbs and don`t forget I`m 5 ft).
I also liked the Smithsonians. We toured the Hirshorn Museum of sculptures

and a few exhibits in the Natural History Museum including gems,
(the gem pictured is the hope diamond 45.50 carats biggest diamond in the world) ocean life,
and the live butterfly exhibit (big let down.) There was so much information in each building.
My third favorite was the Mary Church Terrell house. It was a house built in half. It looks like someone just cut it right down the middle!
Mary Terrell had it built that way to show that African Americans were only treated half as well as Whites. She and her friends would go around to different segregated restaurants and if they refused to seat her she filed a lawsuit.
Here I am on the Capitol steps.


Here I am in front of the Supreme Court.



We travelled around by subway. Here I am after a long day of sight-seeing. Thank goodness the trains were working. Our legs were killing us.
And that’s our D.C. trip. Hope you enjoyed, I know we did!

1 comment:

The ORourkes said...

Great post Maddie! You should start your own blog! The next time we come to visit will you be our DC tour guide? Love you!

Aunt Sara